The 62nd Annual
Tishomingo County Fair
and Livestock Show
Will be held October,7-11, 2014
Activities and events below will be REVISED
Ticket Gates open 5:00 p.m. with admission prices Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday--Adult-$3, Children 12 and under-$2. Friday and Saturday--Adult-$6, Children 12 and under-$4
REMINDER FOR EVERYONE
Even though Tishomingo County voted for beer and liquor and it is now sold in the county, the Tishomingo County Fair and Livestock Show does NOT allow alcoholic beverages on fairgrounds property. We ask that citizens be considerate of this.
ARMBAND NIGHT EVERY NIGHT!!!
Ride as many as you like for $15
Schedule of Events
NO ADMISSION FEE DURING DAYTIME EVENTS MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
GATE FEES FOR SATURDAY WILL APPLY BEGINNING AT NOON
ALL EXHIBIT AND CONTEST ENTRY PARTICIPANTS MUST BE FROM TISHOMINGO COUNTY UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED
Monday October 6th--
Enter All Exhibits Except Baked Goods Including Livestock and Set Up Commercial and Educational Booths
Art & Photography Contest Entries Checked In
Tuesday October 7th--
8:00-9:00--Baked Goods and Fresh Produce Checked In
9:30 a.m.--Judging Adult and Youth Exhibits (ladies building)
1:00. p.m.- Adult Livestock Judged
12:00 noon--Master Gardeners Lunch & Learn Program (inside arena) "Composting"
Dr. Jeff Wilson, MSU Extension Area Horticulturalist
Concessions Available at Homemakers Kitchen
4:00 --Youth Livestock Show ( Participants must pre-register)
5:00 p.m.--Gates Open-Admission-Adults-$3, Children 12 and under-$2
5:00 p.m.--Carnival Armband Night- Ride as much as you like for $15
7:00-9:00 p.m.-- (inside arena) Campus Country from Northeast MS Community College
Wednesday October 8th—
8:00 a.m.--Senior Citizen Day-- Health Fair in Ladies Building
- Free Glucose & Cholesterol Screenings sponsored by North Mississippi Medical Center
Welness Center, NMMC Iuka, Bancorp South, Legacy Hospice
10:00- Exercise & nutrition-Emily Wadkins, Director, NMMC Wellness Center
10:30- Natural Vitamin & Mineral Supplements-Chris Cornelison, Iuka Discount Drugs
11:30- Things You Need to Know About Hospice- Legacy Hospice
12:00- Medical Supplies- Joe Morton, Crossroads Medical12:30- Legal Matters- Nick Phillips, Attorney
CONCESSIONS AVAILABLE FROM 11:00-1:00 AT HOMEMAKERS KITCHEN
5:00 p.m.--Carnival Armband Night-Ride as much as you like for $15
7:00-9:00 p.m.--Bluegrass and Country Music
Thursday October 9th--
9:00 a.m.--Head Start Youth programs
5:00 p.m.--Carnival Armband night-Ride as much as you like for $15
6:30 p.m.--Gospel Music (inside arena) Featuring the The Ricky Lovelace Family, Unity Four, and the
Friday October 10th--
Noon- Master Gardener Lunch & Learn Program
Featuring Local Master Gardener’s Question and Answer Session
CONCESSIONS AVAILABLE FROM 11:00-1:00 AT HOMEMAKERS KITCHEN
5:00 p.m.--Antique Car "Cruise In"
6:00 p.m.--Horse Training demonstration by Ron Plymel (outside arena)
8:00 p.m.--J-Bar-B Rodeo (outside arena)
Saturday October 11th--
9:00 a.m.--4-H Poultry Chain Auction (150 Golden Comet pullets auctioned in lots of five)
10:00 a.m.--Antique Tractor Parade and Show
2:00 p.m.--Tiny Tot Show (inside arena)
2:00 p.m. till 5:00 p.m.--Carnival Matinee-All rides $1
5:00 p.m.--Tishomingo County King & Queen of Fair Contest
6:00 p.m.--Cow Patty Contest (proceeds benefit Tishomingo County Junior Auxiliary)
8:00 p.m.--J-Bar-B Rodeo
will serve food from the Homemakers Kitchen in the Exhibit Building Beginning at 4:00 p.m. Dinner foods will be served for very reasonable prices. Exhibits are entered on Monday from 11:00 a.m. till 7:00 p.m. All residents of Tishomingo County are invited to enter. For an exhibit list or more information call 423-7016.
will be having educational programs during lunch from 11:00-1:00 on Tuesday and Friday. They will also have a booth in the exhibit building and will be selling plants and other gardening items including papercrete pots. If you would like to become a Master Gardener please feel free to talk with one of the volunteers and leave your name and contact information.
will be selling food out of their NEW concession stand at the South end of the building. They will serve hamburgers, hot dogs, popcorn, candy, chips, nachos, parched peanuts, and soft drinks. Proceeds go to support the county 4-H program. Make sure to take time and visit the youth exhibits and booths. If you are interested in 4-H, contact the Extension Office at 423-7016.
Photography Contest Rules and Regulations
All photos must be turned in between 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Monday, October 7, 2013.
1. The contest is open only to Tishomingo County residents. NEW!!! ADULT CATEGORY 18 YEARS AND OLDER PLUS A YOUTH CATEGORY UNDER 18. PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED IN BOTH AGE GROUPS!!!
2. This competition is for AMATEUR photographers only. For the purpose of the competition, professionals are defined as those who sell their work, or who are employed as photographers or teachers of photography.
3. All photos must be the original work of the exhibitor. Copyrighted images are not permitted.
4. Photos may be taken with a digital or 35mm camera.
5. All photos must be 8”x10” in size.
6. All photos must be mounted on a 10”x12” piece of BLACK foam board which may be found at Wal-Mart and other places in the area.
7. Each exhibitor may enter a maximum of 2 total entries.
8. The categories are as follows:
1. People: Photo including one or more person(s).
2. Pets, Animals, and/or Wildlife: Shall include one or more animal(s)
3. Nature: May include landscapes, skyscapes, waterscapes, horticulture, etc.
4. Action: Should show action such as football, baseball, soccer, running, skiing, dancing, auto-racing, etc.
5. Black & White: All photos must be black and white in this category.
9. All Black & white photos must be entered in the Black & White category.
10. All material deemed inappropriate be fair management will be disqualified and not displayed.
1st place in each category = $20.00
1st place Overall = $50.00
Entries must be returned to the Extension Office by September 25th. All entries MUST be pre-registered.
All participants must be from Tishomingo County or be a member of Tishomingo county 4-H
There will be three youth shows: Beef, Dairy Goat, and Open Dairy Goat
Contact the Extension Office at 423-7016 for Entry Forms and Rules.
Rules and Regulations
1. Artist must be a Tishomingo County resident 18 years of age or older as of October 8th.
2. Limit two entries per artist. May be paintings or drawings on any media and should be no more than two (2) years old.
3. Only original work is acceptable. Copies of paintings or drawings will be disqualified. Artwork that contains nudity will not be accepted.
4. Any work that has been previously exhibited in the Tishomingo County Fair will be disqualified. Entries will be exhibited according to space available.
5. The judges reserve the right to refuse entries.
6. Specifications: All art must be suitable for hanging and measure no larger than 4 ft. x 4 ft. or artist must furnish his own display. Space is limited. If you need more than 4 ft., please get prior approval.
7. Reasonable care will be used at all times in handling entries, but entries will not be insured. The Tishomingo County Fair Board will not be responsible for any loss or damages whatsoever.
8. All entries are eligible and will be judged for awards. A qualified judge will make selections for cash awards before the opening of the Fair. No prize will be awarded in the absence of a quality entry.
9. Artwork will be accepted Monday, October 7th, from 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. at the fairgrounds.
10. NO ENTRY WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER OCTOBER 7TH AT 7:00 P.M. Exhibits are not to be removed until Monday, October 14th.
Ribbons will be awarded in each category. The overall winners will receive: CHANGE FROM LAST YEAR
Overall Best of Show- $50.00
Chosen From the Winners of the Five Categories Below
Oil Painting - 1st=$20.00 Acrylic Painting - 1st=$20.00 Watercolor Painting - 1st=$20.00
Pencil or Charcoal - 1st=$20.00 Ink or Pen - 1st=$20.00
There will be a Health Fair in the Ladies Building from 8 till 11 a.m. Free Glucose and Cholesterol Screenings sponsored by NMMC Wellness Center, NMMC and BancorpSouth. Other screenings and health advise provided.
As always, our traditional gospel singing will be back on Thursday night. The Ricky Lovelace Family, the Unity Four, and The Prospectors will be the featured singers.
Come early and enjoy a "Blast From the Past". Watch these classic old cars as they "Cruise" into the fairgrounds!!
Rules and Regulations
1. Entrants must be residents of Tishomingo County. No exceptions!
2. Fair Board members reserve the right to request verification of age and residence.
3. Entrants must be unmarried, never married or divorced, or marriage annulled, never born a child.
4. Contestants having won cannot complete the following year in that age group.
5. Pageant dresses allowed for contestants ages 0-13 yrs. No pageant dresses for contestants age 14-19. Church dresses/business attire only.
6. THE TINY TOT PAGEANT WILL BE SATURDAY AFTERNOON AT 2:00. Events start promptly at 2:00 for Tiny Tot and 5:00 for King & Queen. Due to the fact we don’t know the number of contestants in each category we cannot tell you what time to arrive. You will not be allowed to participate if you register after your category has gone on stage.
7. Registration will begin at 12:00 noon on Saturday and continue during the day. No phone registrations. Entry fee will be $10.00 to be paid at the ENTRANCE GATE where you will be given a form to fill out and present at the registration tables.
0-6 months girls/boys
7-12 months girls/boys
13-18 months girls/boys
19-23 months girls/boys
King & Queen
2-3 years girls/boys
4-5 years girls/boys
6-7 years girls only
8-9 years girls only
10-11 years girls only
12-13 years girls only
14-15 years girls only
16-17 years girls only
18-19 years girls only
Once again this year the Tishomingo County 4-H and the County Fair are sponsoring the Poultry Chain Auction. This past spring 4-Hers were given Golden Comet chicks. These youngsters raised the chicks during the summer and each child will donate 10 hens back to the program to be auctioned at the fair on Saturday morning, Oct. 12th at 9:00. There will be over 150 laying hens put up for auction in groups of five. These hens should be laying eggs close to fair time. Funds raised will purchase chicks for the 4-Hers next spring-thus continuing the chain.
The "Greatest Show On Dirt"-- J-Bar-B Rodeo will provide an IPRA (International Professional Rodeo Association)sanctiioned rodeo in the outside arena Friday and Saturday night beginning at 8:00.
Come out and enjoy viewing these vintage working machines. Many of these tractors were new when our County Fair started 60 years ago. Talk with the owners. They love to share their stories.
We have an overstock of previous county fair T-shirts available for sale at a special bargain price of $5.00. Contact Danny Owen during daytime hours at the fairgrounds and pick out your favorite design.
On Friday night, Oct. 11th at 6:00 Ron Plymel will be giving a horse training demonstration in the outside arena prior to the start of the rodeo.